Sunday, August 29, 2010

To Can or Not to Can, that is the Question.

My girlfriend Melissa brought over a bunch of beans today.  I thought this was a nice gesture until I realized that slave labor is what she was after.   After crying and denial, and a mocha latte, we got to work, snapping and packing beans.  Then, when we ran out of beans, I decided we should do pickles.  After all, the canning stuff was out, might as well put it to work, since it will probably stay on my floor for the next week (or two, but who is counting.  Oh yeah, Farmer Ted is.)


After hours of intense concentration, and reading a few magazines, pizza delivery, and heavy gossip, our bounty was complete.  25 jars of summer harvest, to enjoy over the impending winter.  Then Melissa and I start to dream big..."Should we do salsa next time?"  I ask.  "How about spaghetti sauce?" she replies.  And so it begins.  Preserving Farmer Teds and DeTemple Farms harvest.  What a blessing to taste summer all year.  Of course, next time, we may have to whine over wine, instead of lattes.

No comments:

Post a Comment