Sunday, September 19, 2010

That's what Sunday is for...

A really hard concept to grasp it the idea of taking a day off.  As westerners, the “Sabbath” is a dying practice.  There is too much to do, yards to mow, grocery shopping, laundry, even a job.    I have tried in the past to implement the “no work” idea off and on for several years, and believe me, I like to lay around.  Some may even call me lazy.  But, boy o boy, is it hard to take Sunday off.  Today I woke with a list in my head.  Canning salsa, plan my curriculum, clean the nuclear disaster that is my kids room.  Oh, yeah, and grocery shop.  Then I went to mass.  And then I went to coffee hour at the church.  (More of you need to take advantage of this time of fellowship, I mean, its DONUTS people!)  And I thought, forget it, it is Sunday.  My blood pressure rose, and I had to tell myself to relax.  I mean, the house is not going to crumble if I don’t can salsa.   And I relaxed.  Really relaxed.  And realized, we all need a day off.  Read a good book, bake cookies, eat ice cream, play a board game.  Have a conversation with your teen.  Make a little effort, and then make a bigger effort.  Time flies, and then you will wonder why you didn’t take that walk, or played horse shoes.  And don’t forget to thank the Lord for every little smile, every delicious bite of cookies, and feel your spirits soar.  Because, ladies and gentleman, that is what Sunday is for…

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment